Heenan Blaikie’s Tax group has extensive experience in domestic and international taxation matters. We are recognized for our abilities in devising innovative solutions to help clients alleviate their tax burden or benefit fully from available incentive programs and shelters. Our group represents a vast array of private- and public-sector clients both in Canada and abroad, including:
- banks and financial institutions
- retail businesses
- mutual funds
- trust companies
- real estate developers
- pension funds
- tax-exempt organizations
- high net worth individuals
Heenan Blaikie’s Tax group provides advice to corporate and individual clients in connection with:
- Corporate and commercial issues – corporate tax compliance, tax planning for M&A transactions, structured financing, tax on capital, tax-deferred reorganizations
- Litigation – disputes in the areas of income, capital, estate and commodity taxes, tax evasion charges, notices of objections, Tax Court appeals
- Securities – income trusts, financial derivatives taxation, securities lending rules, valuation of securities
- Municipal law – tax assessments, municipal tax appeals, transfer taxes, municipal bonds
- International business – international tax planning, multinational tax matters and cross-border transactions
- Entertainment, sports and media – drafting and negotiating tax structures, asset optimization, earnings distribution, cash management, tax-shelter financings
We assist our clients in preparing briefs to seek legislative amendments to Canadian tax laws. Our group of lawyers offers a wide range of services in the areas of international tax and trade, including issues related to the NAFTA and GATS trade agreements.
In addition, we represent our clients before tax authorities and the courts in matters involving income, capital, commodity and sales taxes. We advise clients on the tax aspects of financial and estate planning, navigating the intricacies of the law in order to help them achieve their goals.
The common denominator in all these activities is tax optimization. In cooperation with corporate executives and advisors, our main objective remains invariably the same: minimizing the impact of the tax factor on your activities and bottom line.
Members of our Tax group are regular guest speakers at conferences organized by prestigious tax organizations throughout Canada and elsewhere in the world. Many of our lawyers are also active in various tax-related associations and organizations, including:
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Association de planification fiscale et financière
- International Fiscal Association