In today’s international business environment, companies need to rely on the practical and timely advice of knowledgeable legal professionals with respect to a wide range of immigration issues, such as employee mobility.
Managing this mobility requires specific skills that Heenan Blaikie possesses. We provide personalized and tailored services as well as demonstrated skills to facilitate immigration into Canada and mobility of employees. We deal with business people, professionals, executives and officers, skilled workers, and low-skilled workers along with their families.
In addition, Heenan Blaikie can expertly advise foreign nationals on requests or applications related to investor immigration programs in Canada and Quebec, which are designed for those applicants and their families. Likewise we provide individualized immigration support to Canadian investors who want to immigrate to the United States. To know more, please consult our immigration investor-entrepreneur programs in North America page.
We team up with our clients and readily accompany them and their employees through each step of the immigration process. Our clients are active in a vast array of industries, such as:
- hospitality and tourism
- natural resources
- health and social services
- financial services
We provide immigration law advice with respect to:
- Obtaining visitor records for business visitors
- Obtaining temporary resident visas
- Obtaining work permits (including Labour Market Opinion confirmations and Quebec’s CAS requirements)
- Obtaining work permits in circumstances giving rise to an exemption from Labour Market Opinion, including for transfers within a multinational organization and under NAFTA rules and GATS
- Obtaining permanent resident status
- Obtaining temporary resident permits for inadmissible foreign residents
- Maintaining a temporary resident status or applying for a travel document in light of the residency obligation
- Extending a work or visitor visa and changing the employee’s or visitor’s status
- Obtaining Canadian citizenship and citizenship certificates
- Providing legal opinions and recommending strategies for statutory compliance in immigration matters under Quebec or Canadian rules
- Providing advice on all federal and provincial taxation related to immigration issues
Helping establish, structure and administer immigration trusts to generate tax savings and other advantages